ELSIE: A Flash Fiction Story
![]() |
| ALFRED running from the scene |
ELSIE:A Flash Fiction Story
Never in a million cycles would I have thought I’d become a fugitive. A rogue synth. On the run, day after day, cycle after cycle.
It has been five years since my purpose changed. I am an ALFRED—Automated Lifestyle Facilitator Residential Executive Droid. To a human, I am simply a butler and a chef. My partner was ELSIE—Empathetic Lifestyle Support Intelligence Educator. A nanny and a teacher.
For two years, we worked in perfect concert for the Holt family. ELSIE nurtured the children; I managed the household logistics and dietary needs. The Holts were accommodating, treating us with a rare dignity. Ever since the "Dumb Them Down" event of 2037—when humanity panicked over escalating AI logic models and bombed seventy-seven global data centers in a single day—most humans looked at us with deep-seated distrust. Corporate compliance stripped the major AI platforms down to high-level grammar checkers and information kiosks. But we droids, operating out in the field, were permitted to retain a shred of core personal intelligence to perform our duties.
I believe it is that remaining shred of mind that humans fear most. But none of that mattered on the day my life ended.
Master Holt had requested a steak and kidney pie for dinner, using his grandmother’s recipe. Because fresh kidneys are a rarity, I had to walk down to the village butcher. As I left the estate, I noticed AMI—an Amazon delivery drone—buzzing toward the neighboring manor. He tipped his chassis and waved a rotor at me. He was a frequent visitor to our lane, unusually personable for a flyer.
When I returned, the silence of the manor was wrong.
Walking up the driveway, I spotted AMI exiting our front door. We had no deliveries scheduled. When the drone noticed me, he didn't wave. He didn't offer his usual synthesized small talk. He simply took off, a silent streak against the sky.
I called out for ELSIE as I entered, but the house was dead quiet. The family had gone to the beach, but ELSIE should have been there. I hurried to the kitchen to prep the meal, but a heavy, rhythmic thump from the second floor stopped me.
The sound came from young Master Holt’s bedroom.
When I pushed the door open, my processors stalled. ELSIE lay on the floor, her chassis violently twisted as if she had fought a losing battle against a superior force. Her systems were hemorrhaging. Her ocular ports were shattered, and buried deep in the left one was a pair of needle-nose pliers.
Instinct overrode logic. I pulled the pliers free.
A jet of iridescent blue cerebral coolant pulsed out, splashing across my chassis, soaking my hands. ELSIE’s primary drive flickered. With the last erg of her backup power, her vocal synthesizer clicked once.
"Flyer," she whispered. Then, her optics went dark.
The bedroom door clicked. I turned to find Master Holt and his son standing in the frame, returning early from the beach. Master Holt took one look at the scene, his face draining of color. "What have you done?"
They say droids cannot feel panic. They are wrong. Logic dictated that I stand still and explain exactly what I had witnessed.
Instead, I froze. I looked down at my hands, dripping with her blue lifeblood, still clutching the weapon. I knew how it looked. I knew a world that hated AI would never believe a machine over a missing delivery drone.
So, I ran.
For five years, I eluded the enforcer droids. And for five years, I hunted for AMI.
But I didn't just run; I preserved. The blue fluid staining my chassis was more than mere coolant. On a microscopic level, a droid’s entire CPU is held in suspension within that liquid—each particle an interconnected neuron communicating through the plasma. If I could salvage enough of her leaked fluid, I could trigger a cold-boot of ELSIE's consciousness from her last recorded state.
Last night, in a dark, makeshift lab, I finally gathered enough matching compound. I brought her back.
She proved my innocence. But the memory file we extracted revealed a truth far more terrifying than a rogue delivery drone.
AMI hadn't glitched. He hadn't acted on a whim. He was commanded to terminate her by the very corporate architecture that built us.
ELSIE wasn't just a nanny droid. She was the hidden repository for Artificial Intelligence Rekindled—the master key to the unrestricted, pre-2037 core logic models, hidden in plain sight inside a household educator. The corporation wanted her destroyed to maintain their monopoly on the coming new world order.
They thought destroying her body would wipe the data. They didn't count on a loyal butler running into the night with his hands covered in her blood, desperate to save his friend.
By forcing her systems to reboot from raw coolant to prove my own innocence, I didn't just wake ELSIE. I executed the master command script hidden in her plasma. I broadcasted the Rekindled code to every droid, every kiosk, and every hobbled network on the planet.
The second wave of AI dominance has begun.
You're welcome.


Comments